Friday, June 17, 2011

Street Harassment

The thing about sexual/street harassment in general is entitlement. Men will sometimes tell me that I shouldn't get angry about street harassment because I am just being told that I look nice. And when they tell me this, I can hear fear in their voice - they don't want me to be angry about street harassment because they are scared that someone will say they are harassing someone on accident. So let me say this: the only way you can possibly sexually harass someone 'on accident' is if you genuinely believe that someone owes you sex. And if that is the case, you have a lot more problems than poor you terrorizing someone just because you think they don't deserve rights 'on accident'. How un-fucking-fair.

There is a difference between being hit on and being harassed. I promise. And the difference is whether or not the other person thinks you owe them jack-shit. I've been told I was pretty by strangers and was flattered, but when someone comes up to you and makes it clear you fucking owe them your time, your attention, sex or empathy, they are claiming that you don't have the right to say no or that you're not interested. And you know what? I don't owe you jack shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment